Have you ever wondered if you have a crazy-big or wildly small foot? For men, it’s pretty easy to determine, as there are many studies analyzing the average size of a male foot.
Average Shoe Size for Men
In 2014, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons reported that the worldwide average shoe size for men is between 9 and 12, while the American average male shoe size is a 10.5.
How to Determine Your Shoe Size
To determine your shoe size, make sure to measure your feet at the end of the day when they’re the largest. The best method is to use a Brannock device or a ruler to determine your foot’s length and width, but every shoe has its own shape and fit that could affect the size you’ll need.
Best Foot Measuring Products:
- Brannock Device, $58.
- NBC Practical Foot Measuring Device, $15.
- Squatchi Foot Measuring Device, $21.
- Ritz Stick Foot Measuring Device, $23.
- Footer Foot Measuring Tool, $15.
Largest Shoe Size Available
The largest shoe size ever was 37AA, worn by Robert Wadlow, an American who lived from 1918 to 1940; Wadlow was 8 feet 11 inches tall and still holds the Guinness World Record for largest feet ever.
Nowadays, the largest shoe size that most brands offer for men is a 13 or 14, but athletic brands like Nike or Adidas offer up to a 21 or 22.
Where To Buy Shoes For Large Feet:
- Nike — Up to Men’s Size 22.
- Adidas — Up to Men’s Size 21.
- Timberland — Up to Men’s Size 18.
- Ugg — Up to Men’s Size 18.
- Keen — Up to Men’s Size 17.
- Vans — Up to Men’s Size 16.
- Dr. Martens — Up to Men’s Size 16.
Smallest Shoe Size Available
While there is always the option to shop kids shoes for men with smaller feet, the smallest size most adult shoe brands offer is on average a 5. A useful alternative is to shop shoes with unisex sizing as they typically have a wider range of smaller styles.
Where To Buy Shoes For Small Feet:
- Converse — Starts at Men’s Size 3.
- Adidas — Starts at Men’s Size 3.
- Nike — Starts at Men’s Size 4.
- Crocs — Start at Men’s Size 4.
- Puma — Starts at Men’s Size 4.
- Asics — Starts at Men’s Size 4.
- Onitsuka Tiger — Starts at Men’s Size 4.
Do Your Feet Ever Stop Growing?
For most, feet will stop growing a few years after puberty or adolescence — for men, that’s around age 16. Your feet may continue to go up in shoe sizes, though, due to weight gain and loss of ligament and tendon mobility across a lifetime, according to Harvard Health Publishing.
All products featured have been independently selected and curated by our editorial team. If you buy something through our retail links, we may earn commission and the retailer may receive certain auditable data for accounting purposes.
This Is How Men’s Sneakers Will Evolve in 2019
How Online Retailers Are Solving the Fit Problem This Holiday Season