If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, we may receive an affiliate commission.
Motocross is an exhilarating sport that involves riding at fast speeds through rough terrain while taking on steep hills and sharp turns. Because of the challenges that come with this activity, you want to be well-prepared when it comes to protective gear, including your footwear.
Alongside a helmet, motocross boots are an essential piece to wear when you hit the track. The boots you wear should help minimize your risk of injury if you fall off your bike or from collisions with other dirt bikes. They can also help protect your skin from flying dirt and gravel as well as the bike’s motor, which can get hot during use. Additionally, motocross boots help prevent feet from slipping off the bike’s pegs while allowing you to feel the controls.
Compared to regular boots, motocross boots offer extra ankle support as ankle injuries are common in the sport. They typically have a higher profile with molded plates, harder shells and deeper treads. Furthermore, they’re crafted with materials that offer abrasion-resistant and impact-absorbing benefits.
With this in mind, we did some research and rounded up eight motocross boots on the market for men, pulling styles from trusted brands such as O’Neal and Fly Racing. Shop the styles ahead to improve your confidence and safety on the track.
O’Neal Element Boots
O’Neal’s Element Boots are equipped with a synthetic leather heat shield to combat heat damage from your bike, injection-molded plastic plates to protect against impact and a metal shank to help reinforce the boot while adding support.
- Durable Goodyear welt soles help minimize rocking and promote good balance
- A Snap-Lock adjustable four buckle closure system keeps them in place
- Air-mesh interiors with cushioned insoles and heel support allow the foot to breathe and soften your stride
- Metal toe guards help prevent the sole from delaminating
- Gaiters block out water and debris from entering the boot
Fly Racing Maverik Boots
Employing a 4-stage sole design, Fly Racing’s Maverik Boots boast plush, perforated insoles, lightweight yet strong midsoles enhanced with a rigid steel shank, a shock-absorbing foam layer and anti-vibration, molded traction soles.
- 3D molded shift panel improves shifting capabilities
- Molded plastic shin should provide impact resistance and comfort
- Articulated rear ankle design offers subtle flexibility and support
- Includes an adjustable quick-lock three-buckle closure system and durable rubber heat shields
Alpinestars Tech 3 Motocross Boots
The upper of Alpinestars’ Tech 3 is made from an innovative and light microfiber material that’s flexible and abrasion-resistant. Soft foam surrounds the ankles and collar, offering comfort and shock-absorbing performance.
- Contoured calf protectors, higher medial protectors and outer lateral ankle and TPU heel counters offer support and impact resistance
- Extended gaiters keep out wet elements and roost
- Includes a triple buckle strap system, replaceable, arch-supporting EVA footbeds and high-grip rubber compound outsoles
- Ergonomic triple buckle straps allow for smooth frontal flex from the medial protector to the lateral side without compromising mobility
Fox Racing 2021 Instinct Boots
One of the more expensive models on our list, Fox Racing’s 2021 Instinct Boots are designed for premium performance. Their hinge and buckle system is built to provide step-in comfort and support with no break-in time required.
- Hinge lockout stops motion before hyperextension
- A low-profile chassis brings the foot closer to the peg, providing smooth shifting and better control of the rear brake
- The outsole and burn guard utilizes proprietary rubber for enhanced grip and durability
- Slim toe box design allows for easy shifting and makes for a slimmer overall profile
Gaerne 2021 SG-12 Boots
Gaerne’s 2021 SG-12 Boots features a dual-stage pivot system that provides strong lateral support and shock absorption while allowing for a more natural foot position. A four-buckle closure system allows for easy in-out access.
- A slimmer toe area is designed to offer an improved feel of the shift lever and the bike’s controls
- Anatomical shin plates can be removed if you want to make the opening wider to accommodate a bigger leg or knee-brace
- Gaiter is made out of a breathable, stretchy fabric that should retain its shape to keep debris out
- Grip guards on the medial side enhance bike feel and offer heat-resistance
Leatt GPX 5.5 FlexLock Boots
Leatt GPX 5.5 FlexLock Boots were built to significantly minimize impact to the knees and ankles. The FlexLock system provides adjustable boot flex and LockOut of the ankle movement.
- Comes with interchangeable inserts that allow riders to reduce lateral flexibility
- SlideLock cuff system offers auto-locking convenience with a one-way sliding closure
- Features 3D-shaped impact foam over ankles and a heel-gripping ankle design
- Breathable mesh 3D inner liner with anti-slip reinforcement
Thor BLITZ XP Boot
For great support, performance and premium durability, Thor’s BLITZ XP Boot boasts a pre-curved injection-molded shin plate, outsoles with a steel shank insert, synthetic calf inlays and injection-molded panels.
- Metal toe caps reinforce the outsole’s strength
- Four fully adjustable buckle straps allow for a customized fit
- Mesh liners encourage proper airflow
- Contains an injection-molded medial abrasion plate with integrated shift protection
Joe Rocket Ballistic Tour Boots
Instead of buckles, Joe Rocket’s Ballistic Tour Boot is fixed with velcro and zipper closures for a secure fit. Made from heavy-duty synthetic leather, they’re double-stitched in high-stress areas and have reflective details on the back and side panels.
- Internally reinforced shin, ankle, toe and heel protect your feet through any ride
- An articulated ankle area and a low-profile toe box supply added mobility so you can move your feet naturally
- Also boasts a reinforced gear shift area and streamlined, no-slip bonded sole
- Contains Injection-molded toe armors with replaceable integrated toe sliders