Feet hurting? You’re not alone. With the average American racking up about 75,000 miles in steps by the time they are 50, it’s no surprise our feet will suffer from some wear and tear. But, that doesn’t mean you need to skip your favorite activities in order to avoid pain.
There are plenty of shoes designed to address common foot issues like plantar fasciitis, bunions and hammertoes, as well as chronic conditions such as diabetes so you can stay comfortable 24/7.
To help make your shopping a little easier, we’ve rounded up top options for women that accommodate these problems.
For more than 75 years, Footwear News has been the shoe authority. Our coverage spans top industry news, retail trends, head-to-toe fashion, athletic and outdoor analysis and more. Footwear News’ global network of editors has carefully curated all product selections featured using our expansive brand knowledge and thorough research to find quality, long-lasting items. If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, we may receive an affiliate commission.
1. Vionic Walker Classic
This walking shoe is lightweight, breathable and has received the American Podiatric Seal of Acceptance.
- Features a podiatrist-designed orthotic with a flexible, cushioned outsole for added arch support.
- Requires no break-in time due to the supple upper material.
- Includes mesh details for aeration.
- Footbed is firmer than most.
2. Arcopedico LS
This lace-up style features a knit upper in elastic and nylon that easily conforms to the shape of the foot without constricting toes and aggravating bunions.
- Cradles the foot, while allowing for toes to naturally stretch out.
- The insole can be removed and replaced with a custom orthotic for a personalized fit.
- Can be machine washed in a laundry bag.
- Lacks some support in side-to-side stability due to the soft nature of the upper.
- Sole can be stiff when walking for long hours.
3. Orthofeet Sanibel Mary Jane
This casual twist on a classic Mary Jane style features an orthotic insole to support the arch and soft upper designed for sensitive feet often associated with diabetes.
- Features a sturdy construction to prevent foot from slipping.
- Includes removable footbeds that can be replaced with custom orthotics.
- Wide enough to accommodate medical bandages.
- Style may be too roomy at the back for those with narrower heels.
- Runs about a half-size short.