Finding the perfect pair of flats is no easy task. As they are wardrobe staples, you’ll want them to be chic enough to elevate basic outfits yet versatile enough to wear with anything in your closet. Plus, comfort is always key — after all, there’s nothing worse than enduring achy arches or painful blisters as you would when wearing narrow, sky-high stilettos.
Since not all flats are created equal, there are a few features to look for in order to keep feet happy: soft or pliable fabrics in the upper, additional padding in the insole and flexible outsoles. Below, we’ve rounded up the some of the best options on the market that fit the bill without compromising on style.
For more than 75 years, Footwear News has been the shoe authority. Our coverage spans top industry news, retail trends, head-to-toe fashion, athletic and outdoor analysis and more. Footwear News’ global network of editors has carefully curated all product selections featured using our expansive brand knowledge and thorough research to find quality, long-lasting items. If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, we may receive an affiliate commission.
1. Toms Seasonal Classics Slip-ons
Perfect for weekend brunch or more casual affairs, this espadrillelike flat from Toms features a padded footbed and elastic at the vamp for 24/7 comfort.
- Features an easy slip-on silhouette.
- Includes a durable canvas upper, available in a range of colors and patterns.
- Footbed provides moderate arch support and cushioning.
- May run large.
2. Anna Dana-20 Ballerina Flats
This wear-with-everything style offers lightweight support via stretchy elastic straps.
- Features a lightly padded insole for added comfort.
- Surprisingly long-lasting for the price; one customer claimed the shoes lasted a year and half after repeated wear before they needed to be replaced.
- Fit is on the snug side but comfortably accommodates most feet.
3. Vionic Spark Minna Ballet Flat
Earning the American Podiatric Medical Association’s Seal of Acceptance, these office-ready flats features one of the plushest footbeds on the market.
- Biomechanically designed to hug your arches.
- Features removable EVA Footbed to accommodate custom orthotics.
- Ideal for people who suffer from plantar fasciitis and pronation.
- Wide enough to comfortably accommodate bunions.
- Can be squeaky on floors.
- May take some time to break in.