Whether it was major shoe moments with social media sisters Kylie and Kendall Jenner to events that shaped the year such as the Olympics and the election, there was a lot of buzz in the industry on social media in 2016. This year also saw its fair share of fashion controversies that sparked heated conversations online. Scroll down to see the social media highlights from 2016.
1. Puma and Kylie Jenner teased their powerful partnership on social media.
2. Designer Valentino Garavani and the Oscar de la Renta brand took to Instagram to honor the late Nancy Reagan.
4. Members of the fashion industry used social media to show they voted and encourage others to follow suit.
Watch on FN
5. Gisele Bündchen posted her runway walk at the 2016 Olympics on her Instagram account, and to date it has garnered more than 5 million views.
6. Reactions circulated on social media about the results of the Nike Mag self-lacing “Back to the Future II” raffle, which benefited the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s research.
7. No one will forget Kendall Jenner’s Instagram photo of the Dsquared2 lace-up boots she wore to the MTV Movie Awards.
8. Social media didn’t hold back with the jokes and criticism when Under Armour’s Curry Two Low “Chef” shoe was released.
1. Timberland found itself in hot water after social media users likened the extra laces for its Mono Grey 6-inch boots to a noose.
2. Marc Jacobs faced criticism on social media for featuring faux dreadlocks during his New York Fashion Week show.
3. Golden Goose took heat online after releasing its $585 Distressed Super Star sneakers.