On Monday, the rumored news that designer Anthony Vaccarello would be named the creative director at Saint Laurent was confirmed. Today, we look at some facts about the designer.
1. Born in Brussels to Italian parents, the 33-year old designer is based in Paris, where he oversaw his own eponymous label since 2009. Upon taking the reigns at Saint Laurent, he has agreed to shutter his brand.
2. He studied sculpture at Le Chambre, graduating with honors. His first design gig out of school was in 2009 for Karl Lagerfeld, working on furs for Fendi.
3. Since meeting at a dinner party in 2010, his muse is French musician, model and fashion plate Lou Doillon, daughter of the great Jane Birkin.
4. Vaccarello is known for his va-va-voom designs, which benefit greatly from a pair of legs-for-days and a lack of inhibitions for revealing the upper thigh bone (thigh-brow, as it’s called these days). Think Karlie Kloss and Anya Rubik (her MET Ball 2012 revealing where-to-look dress certainly helped put him on the map), who both often walk his shows.
5. From a footwear perspective, Vaccarello has collaborated on runway footwear in the past with Stella Luna. His taste for shoes seems to veer into predominantly stiletto, strappy and spiky territory.