Looks like Donald Trump hasn’t had his last word on Macy’s. The real estate mogul and presidential candidate took a new jab at the retailer on Twitter, referencing the company’s tough holiday results which put it under a media spotlight late yesterday.
“Very disloyal company. Another win for Trump! Boycott.” wrote Trump on Twitter.
Last year, Trump sparred very publicly with the retailer after Macy’s dropped Trump’s menswear line in response to a public outcry against Trump’s comments regarding immigrants.
While announcing his candidacy Trump infamously said: “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
After receiving a petition to drop his line and the increasing public backlash, Macy’s dumped the brand.
“We are disappointed and distressed by recent remarks about immigrants from Mexico,” Macy’s said in a statement, as told to Variety, at the time. “We do not believe the disparaging characterizations portray an accurate picture of the many Mexicans, Mexican Americans and Latinos who have made so many valuable contributions to the success of our nation.”
It seems The Donald couldn’t wait to sound off again as the company captured headlines for lackluster holiday sales and several store closures, which were previously announced.
.@Macys was one of the worst performing stocks on the S&P last year, plunging 46%. Very disloyal company. Another win for Trump! Boycott.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 7, 2016