Kendall and Kylie Jenner are the latest stars to grab the spotlight for their buzzed-about new shoe line. The world’s most famous teens join a crowded celebrity market that isn’t easy to crack.
Not surprisingly, this year’s other big celebrity launch — so far — was Kanye West’s Adidas Yeezy Boost sneakers, which created widespread buzz and sold out quickly. Now, Zendaya is jumping into the game, too.
Here’s a look at the namesake celebrity lines that have proven to have serious staying power.
1. Jessica Simpson: The billion-dollar brand is considered one of the most powerful celebrity labels out there, thanks in part to Camuto Group’s successful growth push over the past decade. Now owned by Sequential Brands, the Simpson label will likely be expanded into even more categories. But there’s no question that shoes, which are still under the Camuto domain, will continue to be a major focus.
2. Sarah Jessica Parker: Shoes and SJP. For many people, they’re the ultimate pairing. The style icon ventured into the shoe market last spring with her SJP Collection, winning FN’s Launch of the Year award last December. After debuting exclusively at Nordstrom, SJP is steadily expanding its retail distribution into stores like Bloomingdale’s and Zappos Couture, where one of Parker’s styles sold out this week.
3. Gwen Stefani: The musician was one of the celebrity pioneers in the fashion business, and now she’s putting more emphasis on her L.A.M.B and Gx by Gwen Stefani labels, produced with Titan Industries. “[Designing] feels a little more accepted [than when I started], and maybe that’s why this timing doesn’t feel weird at all,” Stefani told FN last August. “I feel that I’ve earned the right to be able to do this now, and at the end of the day, an accessory line feels good.”
4. Fergie: The pop star partnered with Brown Shoe (now Caleres) on her line and made an appearance at FN Platform last February to promote the collection.
5. Nicole Richie: The reality star has been in the fashion game for several years with her House of Harlow line and is now making waves on her reality show “Candidly Nicole.”