Indeed, while this may be a trend that took off for fall ’15, with spring temperatures currently airing on the chilly side for many, now is the perfect time to dip your toe into a plethora of cheeky legwear looks. Sheer fabrications not only cut the cold and allow you to break out your spring pieces now, but for those not quite ready to grin and bare it in the leg department, it’s also an easy and chic solution. Exhibit A: Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane’s current collection, which highlighted mini-skirts and shorts paired with barely-there tights and open toe platforms. Yes, you can style sandals with stockings and no the fashion authorities won’t get you. Carine Roitfeld has been doing it for years, as mature legs often benefit most from a little coverage. After all, nothing quite reveals and conceals like a pair of 30 denier or under.
To build out a well-equipped hosiery kit, may we suggest the following:
– black fishnets and, for the more adventurous, wider-weave whalenets, as seen in Alexander Wang’s pre-fall ’15 collection.
– a 30 denier sheer (Commando just launched this), a 10 denier sheer and a vampy backseam style to channel a Rodarte vixen.
– point d’esprit hosiery for when you’re feeling dainty (à la DVF and Giles) and an oversize polka dot version (inspired by Proenza Schouler) for daring looks.
– ankle socks and knee-highs, which inject loafers and kitten heels with sudden seduction or give pumps a gamine twist.
– thigh-high stay-ups, which instantly add Bardot-worthy sizzle to everything from flippy skirts to denim cut-offs.
And if the dreaded happens (you know: runs or pulls in the hosiery material), you are in luck. Such pesky flaws are no longer unsightly deal breakers. Back to Saint Laurent: Hedi Slimane sent his fall ’15 cast of models down the runway in all manner of slashed, shredded and spliced fishnets and black tights.