John Varvatos is a music man. He’s constantly collaborating with top names for his ad campaigns — from KIIS to Willie Nelson to ZZ Top. In fact, the designer even has his own recording label.
He was also part of the inaugural Men’s Fashion Week this summer.
Here, the designer invites Footwear News into his closet and shares some fun facts.
1. Varvatos has a large personal collection of shoes that spans different states.
“[I have] way too many to count — I’m in the shoe business. Hundreds, in multiple closets and states.”
2. If he were a shoe, it would be a motorcyle boot.
“It’s tough and sexy and masculine all at the same time.”
3. In the early ’90s, Varvatos worked for Calvin Klein.
He was part of the team that pioneered boxer briefs, made famous by the ads starring Mark Wahlberg.
4. On women, he prefers heels.
“There is something very sensual about them.”
5. His Bowery boutique was home to a famous music club.
Varvatos’ first freestanding store is in New York’s Soho neighborhood. Prior to the designer taking over the space, the spot was music club CBGB.