Footwear News asked outdoor retailers around the country for their key sales drivers this week.
BACK COUNTRY NORTH, Traverse City, Mich.
1. Vasque Breeze 2 hiking boot
2. Merrell Moab Ventilator hiking style
3. Salomon Comet hiker and the XA Pro 3D trail running shoe
Top trend: “Colors. When you put [bright new styles] in the front window, people beat the door down to come look at them,” said Sandy Smith, assistant buyer for hard goods.
THE MOUNTAINEER, Keene Valley, N.Y.
1. Vasque hiking boots
2. La Sportiva hiking styles
3. Mammut and Scarpa hiking boots
Top trends: “Gore-Tex is definitely in because it’s been so wet and so muddy. We’re selling more brown boots and higher boots as opposed to shoes,” said Chuck Bruha, assistant manager for footwear.
SUNRISE MOUNTAIN SPORTS, Livermore, Calif.
1. Salomon XA Pro hiking styles
2. Lowa Renegade hiking boot
3. Salewa low-top hiking boots
Top trend: Manager and head buyer Phil Pierpont said, “People are coming in and are willing to pay more for the right boot. They are really interested in the craftsmanship and fit for the foot.”
TRAVEL COUNTRY, Altamonte Springs, Fla.
1. Chaco original Z-strap and flip-flops
2. Olukai sandals
3. Merrell Moab hiking boots
Top trend: “We’re seeing women’s footwear doing pretty darn well. Our store is seeing true growth in women’s, from top to bottom,” said manager and buyer Mike Plante.