Fresh takes on classics, architectural inspirations and luxurious materials such as snakeskin and velvet defined the season’s best looks. Here, Footwear News ranks the Top 20 fall shoes from the Italian catwalks.
1. Fendi’s lemon-lime snakeskin Mary Jane pump stole the show at the Milan collections. The effortlessly chic style exhibits just the right mix of textures while modernizing the all-important feminine silhouette with a fun, chunky heel. Though the collection had a decidedly school-days vibe, this look was all grown up.
2. Sergio Rossi’s snakeskin ankle boots with suede-lined swirl cuffs and spindle heels create a wearable work of art.
Watch on FN
3. Brian Atwood’s asymmetrical slingback sandal with “empire” metal heel makes an architectural statement, especially when worked in the season’s key bordeaux color.
4. Prada’s python boots with concave heels play with a trompe l’oeil effect, making them both thought-provoking and utterly original.
5. Diego Dolcini’s plumed satin platform sandal with metal heel exemplifies embellishment at its best. While not a completely new idea, this style is a show-stopper that looks equally beautiful on or off the foot.
6. Dolce & Gabbana’s all-over embroidered and jeweled pumps may look like a relic from a pirate’s treasure chest, but they offer clear proof that the pointy toe pump has made a resounding comeback.
7. Emporio Armani’s velvet slip-ons with carved gold metal heels channel a Victorian-meets-menswear vibe. Several important trends of the season collide to create what is essentially a smoking shoe on a stiletto.
8. Gianfranco Ferré’s black-and-white ankle boots are a fresh, futuristic vision of fall, with a sleek single sole and a touch of rock ’n’ roll from the graphic color-blocking to the pointy toe.
9. Jimmy Choo’s single soled serpentine sandals are the perfect balance of glamorous evening sparkle and tasteful elegance.
10. Salvatore Ferragamo’s sequined pumps combine a classic pattern — the label’s ubiquitous herringbone print — with a modern treatment for a sophisticated-yet-fun design.
11. Casadeli’s magenta satin pointy toe pumps with metal “blade” heel are an ultra-chic update to a classic pump.
12. Guillaume Hinfray’s mid-calf boots offer a new take on fall’s key boot trend: fur cuffs.
13. Emilo Pucci’s ankle boots with razor-sharp toe demonstrate the versatility and richness of fall’s olive color palette and the importance of the pointy toe boot.
14. Giuseppe Zanotti’s ankle strap platform pump was designed with Kate Middleton’s royal wedding in mind, but would also be a perfect pop of color for a simple night on the town.
15. Marni’s snakeskin platform Mary Jane heels retain enough of the style’s heritage to feel very feminine, while the green flame motif and wooden platform show a more modern vintage vibe.
16. René Caovilla’s beaded ankle-strap sandal features a pelt of fur to create an especially luxurious evening look.
17. Gucci’s bold snakeskin platforms add an extra ladylike appeal with thin ankle straps, which have seen a heightened importance for fall.
18. Jil Sander’s printed wedge booties feature an innovative stirrup pass-through to keep pants taut, a novelty that might be a tough sell since it requires a package deal.
19. Giorgio Armani’s lace ankle boots may not be a completely new concept, but they offer a sophisticated-yet-sexy look that can cross between seasons.
20. Roberto Cavalli’s tasseled kiltie loafer in rich printed croc is a prime example of the gender-bending loafer trend for fall. With a stacked heel and stitched leather platform, it manages to be both chunky and refined.