From Skechers’ Mr. Quiggly to Bugs Bunny and Michael Jordan, here are some of our favorites:
1. Skechers’ Dog Racing (2012): The spot starred Mr. Quiggly, the adorable bulldog who sported Skechers’ GoRun shoes and emerged victorious in a competitive dog race full of bigger contenders. (Skechers got an earful from animal rights activists, who said dog racing harms animals, but this year’s GoDaddy ad, pulled yesterday, got a ton more criticism for its mistreatment of dogs.) Mark Cuban also made an appearance, but the pup stole the spotlight. Shortly after, the bulldog racked up more major buzz during an appearance at FN Platform.
2. Nike Hare Jordan (1992): Michael Jordan has been the star of many Super Bowl ads, but this was one of his most memorable — Bugs Bunny joined the hoops star on the court in the spot. Fun fact: The two teamed up again four years later in the movie “Space Jam.”
3. Tommy Hilfiger’s “Have Some Fun” (1993): During the height of “Seinfeld” fame, Michael Richards — and his unusual brand of humor — made an appearance in Mr. Hilfiger’s spot. It got mixed reviews at the time, but there sure was a a great shoe shot.
4. Reebok’s Terry Tate Office Linebacker (2003): The first in a series, this short film featured Lester Speight as a football linebacker who metes out pain to those in the office who aren’t obeying policies.
5. Nike: Announcers (1990):Well-known sports announcers give their takes on sports stars, such as Bo Jackson and Michael Jordan, while messages from Nike appear on screen encouraging watchers to buy their shoes.
6. T-Mobile: Restricted Bling (2016):Granted, this is not a shoe company. But one glance at Drake and his moves in classic 6″ Timberlands, and we decided it was worth including.