“I know all about the benefits of starting out at the bottom and finding good people along the way to mentor you,” Choi said.
Today, the designer said she takes a big interest in nurturing young talent.
“I’m proud to say that we take on a lot of interns here at Jimmy Choo, and our intern pool is our best source for recruiting permanent employees,” she said. “I have had many people in my design team who started out as interns, while others have gone on to other respectable fashion companies in great positions. The best thing companies can do is to continue to hire and retain talented women.”
Here, Choi offers five tips for women who want to build a career in fashion.
1. “Pursue your passion and do what you love, but accept that the path to your dream job usually starts at the bottom, and you need to be prepared to work hard.”
2. “Make yourself indispensable by doing the best job possible, no matter how creative or mundane the project.”
3. “Take initiative and ask what you can do to help. If there is a skill or a project that especially interests you, raise your hand and volunteer to take part. Try and find a way that you can be helpful on that project.”
4. “Observe and learn — be informed about the world.”
5. “Network and build relationships with the fashion world over time.”