Adidas Will Not Use Suarez for New Marketing

Adidas has said it has no plans to use Luis Suarez for future marketing during the World Cup, after FIFA banned the 27-year-old player for nine games for biting another athlete during Uruguay’s match with Italy.

“Adidas certainly does not condone Luis Suarez’s recent behavior and we will again be reminding him of the high standards we expect from our players,” the company said in a statement, adding that it fully supports FIFA’s decision.

Earlier this week, we reported:

Adidas is reviewing its ties with Luis Suárez as the Uruguayan forward is under investigation for allegedly biting a rival player during Uruguay’s 1-0 victory over Italy on Tuesday.

“Adidas is aware of the issue involving Luis Suárez. We await FIFA’s full investigation into this matter and will respond accordingly,” Katja Schreiber, a spokeswoman for Herzogenaurach, Germany-based Adidas, said in a statement.

This isn’t the first time the 27-year-old Suárez, who plays for Liverpool F.C., has run into trouble with his teeth. In addition to Tuesday’s incident with defender Giorgio Chiellini, Suárez was suspended for 10 matches last year by the English Premier League for biting an opponent, and also served a seven-game suspension in 2010 while playing for Dutch team Ajax.

Results of FIFA’s investigation are expected before Uruguay’s next scheduled match on Saturday against Colombia. If he is found guilty, Suárez is expected to be banned for some, if not all, of Uruguay’s remaining World Cup matches.