In a city filled with transplants, Sam Edelman is a true New Yorker. The designer grew up in Greenwich Village and has made Manhattan the base for his namesake brand. Although a busy travel schedule means he is often on the road, when he’s home he loves to soak up the scene. Here, Edelman offers a native’s take on Gotham’s best bites, coolest clubs and more.
1. Hottest show on Broadway: “Jersey Boys.”
2. Best pizza joint: John’s Pizzeria on Bleecker Street. “I’ve been to Naples, Italy, and the pizza there is only second best.”
3. Best spot for people watching: Avenue Lounge. “You see the best clothes, best shoes, best hair, best makeup. It’s like a magazine that comes to life.”
4. Killer martini: Parma.
5. Best unwind-after-work spot: Four Seasons hotel bar. “It’s the closest thing to being in London that you can find in New York.”
6. Best vintage shopping: What Goes Around Comes Around. “They have amazing archives for designers.”
7. Great escape: Raoul’s Restaurant. “You feel like you’re in Paris there.”