The namesake business has grown from a small women’s label to a bonafide footwear brand outfitting the whole family. Here is a look at the moments that have defined Donald Pliner’s company — and the man — for the past 20 years.
• Donald Pliner launches his namesake Donald J Pliner women’s footwear and handbags line.
• The designer debuts his first all-over stretch shoe, which has since become a signature.
• Pliner weds wife Lisa.
• The Donald J Pliner men’s collection bows.
• The brand’s first concept store opens in Aventura, Fla.
• The handbag collection is relaunched with a fresh new look.
• The brand introduces Friends of BabyDoll Pliner, a collection of dog accessories named for the Pliners’ own Maltese.
• The Pliners purchase their 16,000-sq.-ft. home on Miami’s exclusive Star Island.
• The first print ads featuring the Pliners and their dog debut.
• Company veteran Roxanne Ehrenberg is named CEO.
• The Pliners adopt daughter Starr from Kazakhstan.
• The Pliner Jrs kids’ line launches.
• The Pliners establish the Peace for the Children Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to helping children in need around the world.
• The higher-end Donald J Pliner Signature label for men and women is introduced.
• Lisa Pliner launches her own women’s footwear collection, now named Lisa for Donald J Pliner.
• The company hires two designers to work under Donald.
• The company shutters its Beverly Hills and Orlando retail stores.
• Donald by Donald J Pliner, a lower-priced men’s line, bows.
• The fast-fashion Pliner by Donald J Pliner men’s and women’s lines debut.