Steven Madden Ltd. has grown from an ambitious startup to a diverse global company. Here is a look at the defining moments from two decades in business.
• Steve Madden launches his namesake firm with $1,100.
• The designer’s “signature” chunky platform shoe is introduced.
• The brand’s first boutique opens in Soho in New York.
• Sales approach $40 million.
• The “big-head girl” campaign debuts.
• Sales hit $205 million and the designer opens his 50th store.
• The Stevies children’s line launches.
• Steve Madden Men’s bows.
• Footwear News names Madden company of the year.
• The founder is sent to jail for stock fraud.
• Steve Madden debuts handbags.
• Steven by Steve Madden launches.
• The firm is awarded the Candie’s footwear license.
• Madden is released from jail.
• The company opens its 100th U.S. store and expands into international territory.
• Madden Girl launches.
• Sales top $475 million.
• The firm gets the Betsey Johnson handbag license. •
FN names Steven Madden company of the year for the second time.
• Steve Madden Music launches.
• Flagships open in Hong Kong, Beijing and Dubai.
• The firm inks a deal with Jones Apparel Group to make L.E.I. branded footwear for Wal-Mart.
• Madden teams with Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen on Elizabeth & James.
• FN names Steve Madden company of the year for the third time.
• The company projects annual sales to surpass $500 million.
• The firm acquires handbag manufacturer Big Buddha.
• Olsenboye launches at JCPenney.